Monday 27 January 2014

Home sweet Home(Or not)

We've been in Australia for about four weeks now, and many crazy things have happened within that time.
House hunting took up most of it. Normally I LOVE house hunting, but it now feels weird! I never thought we'd ever have to house-hunt again.

After lots of thinking we finally decided on one. It was between a house with a pool and a club house, and one with a balcony. You may think it would be an obvious choice(The one with the pool), but there were some flaws with it. Including the fact that I would have to share a room with someone, the rugs were ugly and there was no back yard because it was taken by the pool and club house. The house we have now has a entire upstairs lounge, I get my own room, there is a giant back yard with a garden and as you know, a balcony.

Most of the houses we saw were pretty gunky, but then finally some nice ones turned up. Unfortunately, I was already completely pooped by the time we found any nice ones. From there we became completely beach crazy!!! It was a fun walk to the beach down through the "Shops" center. There were lots of shops selling Aussie food; such as lamb Shish Kabobs, shrimp and other seafood. We tried the lamb and loved it! After our meal I found out that Aussie food tastes more fresh then American food! I mean I'm sure not ALL of it is as fresh as some American food of course, but in general. :) I thought that the food would be coolest thing that day, but NO we hadn't seen nothing yet. We also saw a store much cooler then food! Well I guess
it was a food store in a way. You'll see in the next post!
The beach. How should I describe it? Well....there's sand, water and waves...it's got me beat! It was SO fun! The beach is the PERFECT place to be! Even if you have a TERRIBLE rash,(like I did) you still don't want to leave! It's so beautiful! Not only that, but the COOLEST sports are played on the water!!! Surfing and most importantly WIND surfing! Where do I start! It's a pretty complicated sport, but worth it! So basically they get the wind surfer in the air which can be pretty dangerous. From what I saw, they had to set it up on the sand which is the hardest part. They had to be really careful not to kill someone with that giant thing! :D Once they've got the wind surfer in the air, they just had to wait for the wind to take them!  But the down side to this, is that they had to go later in the day. I believe that's the city rules. For instance, they have certain areas for surfers, and certain areas for swimmers and body boarders. We were there the whole day and got to see the wind surfers! 

After our adventure, we decided to take a trip to hungry jacks. Hungry jacks is the Australian Burger king and they serve FROZEN cokes. Speaking of Australian differences here are they are: 

1. It's "mackers" instead of McDonalds  

2. Summer break is shorter, but they have more breaks during the year AND the breaks are longer

3. A water melon is called a water malOOn 

4. A cantaloupe is called a rock melon

5. A cart is called a trolley

6. A elevator is called a lift

7. And there are cake shops everywhere! 

And tons of other things! We are just waiting to see more! 
Stay tuned for the next post where we experience the Aussie 4th of July! :D 

No comments:

Post a Comment